Ibrahim Abuawad, Ph.D.
Director, Pavement Engineering
With a Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of Illinois, Mr. Abuawad specializes in pavement design and preservation to support the field of Transportation Maintenance. He has published numerous journal papers, conference papers, and reports in his field of expertise. Currently he is using this knowledge to provide consulting services to the Pavement Management Division of VDOT’s Salem District. He is responsible for monitoring and inspecting the District pavement network, verifying pavement rating, developing pavement network inventory, and working on the pavement contract preparation process.
His research includes:
- Designing, Producing, and Constructing Fine-Graded Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA)
- Impact of High Rap Contents on Pavement Structural Performance
- Effects of Various Asphalt Binder Additives/Modifiers on Moisture-Susceptible Asphaltic Mixtures
- Environmental and Functional Benefits and Trade-offs of Hot In-Place (HIR) Recycling Treatment Techniques
- Estimation of Moisture Susceptibility of Different Asphalt Mixes Using Surface Free Energy